Academic Legacy

Professor Fu Ssu-nien, the Institute's first director, founded the Institute of History and Philology in 1928. Relying on the support of the institute's exceptional organization and capacity for research, the Preparatory Office for the Academia Sinica Museum was established in 1933. Dr. Fu Ssu-nien envisioned the museum as a center for educating the public, promoting society's interest in cultural heritage and broadening the historical horizons of common citizens. By associating the artifacts with their relevant natural history, the museum differed considerably from other museums which simply displayed their collections out of context.

During and after the decade of the Sino-Japanese war, the relationship between the museum's Preparatory Office and the Institute of History and Philology became closer, and the two started working together on archaeological excavations and ethnological projects. After the relocation of the Academia Sinica Museum to Taiwan in 1949, it was merged with the National Palace Museum of Peking to form the Joint Administration of Academia Sinica and the Palace Museum. In 1965 the name was changed to the National Palace Museum in Taipei. The Museum of the Academia Sinica thus temporarily ceased to exist .

In 1958, an exhibition hall for archaeological artifacts was inaugurated with only one room at the Institute of History and Philology. With the opening of the History Exhibition Building in 1986, the museum received its first home in Taiwan. The first and the second floor of the Building were specifically reserved for exhibition galleries. After renovations were completed in June 2002, the Academia Sinica Museum was reopened to the public. This rebirth of the museum represents not only a physical return to the Institute of History and Philology, but also the revival of the spirit in which it was founded. In contrast to other museums, artifacts in our exhibits are significant on two levels: first, due to their importance to historical, cultural, and archaeological knowledge, and second, because they illuminate the development of both the institute and Chinese academics at large since the 1920's.
 

The Reorientation of the IHP Museum in the Information Age of the 21st Century

Since the creation of the Institute of History and Philology, the guiding principle behind all its academic activities has always been to encourage researchers to leave the confines of their libraries and conduct field research. Fu Ssu-nien urged his colleagues to travel up hill and down dale in search of first-hand materials only obtainable through field research. This critical spirit stressing scientific verification is manifested in the works displayed in the museum.

In the global village of the 21st century, knowledge is no longer an exclusive good to be stored in an ivory tower, but must be made accessible to all sectors of the public. Only in this way can we stimulate discussion, engage in critical inquiry, enrich historical imagination, and envision future perspectives. This museum hopes to bridge the gap between its scientific heritage and the general public. By doing so, we wish to pass on the legacy and achievements of the museum, while at the same time adjusting our operations to meet future challenges. Your suggestions and comments are most welcome.
 

Milestones in the Development of an Academic Museum

In 1997, the museum was closed for renovation. Exhibit themes and contents were planned anew. Meanwhile, in order to meet the special requirements for the conservation of both bronze and organic items, two constant temperature and humidity storerooms were set up. In 1994 a conservation laboratory was established to take charge of research and conservation. All resources and manpower related to education, promotion, and exhibit matters were integrated. The museum was henceforth transformed into a professionally managed museum. The museum was reopened in 2002 with several permanent exhibitions as well as smaller-scale special exhibits and promotional events. At present, our key task is to re-categorize the artifacts excavated from China and to cooperate with the National Science Councils National Digital Archive Project to digitalize all collections into a computerized archival database.

As Dr. Fu Ssu-nien advocated in the early days of the museum, the tasks of researching and exhibiting artifacts do not conflict but rather benefit from each other. In addition to academic research, the Institute has always considered the dissemination of historical knowledge as one of its long-term duties. The exhibition hall has served as a place where the academic work conducted within the Institute is presented to the public for mutual communication, in the hope of promoting the public?s interest in culture and science.