:::
:::

Oracle Bones

After the first discovery of oracle bones in 1899, scholars began to collect and study them. However, it was only until the establishment of the Institute of History and Philology in 1928 that the researchers began to engage in large scale scientific excavation. Excavations at Hsiao-t’un Village, Honan Province, China alone brought forth about more than 25,000 pieces of oracle bones. The Institute is internationally perceived as the institution that has the largest collection of fine oracle bone remains.